Creating Healthy Schools and Communities (CHSC), funded by the NYS Department of Health, is a five year grant effort utilizing a coordinated, multi-sector approach to increase demand for and access to healthy, affordable foods and opportunities for daily physical activity to reduce the risk of chronic disease in high-need communities and school districts. CHSC of CCE Niagara works with the Niagara Falls and Lackawanna school districts and communities.
To subscribe to our quarterly newsletter please follow the link.
Creating Healthy Schools Initiatives: Year One
- Using the WellSAT 2.0 to assess the strength and comprehensiveness of local wellness policies in each district
- Establishing a Wellness Committee policy implementation plan in each district
- Establishing Wellness Committee subcommittee’s in each district for nutrition, physical activity and healthy Food marketing
- Conducting WellSAT-i survey to assess physical activity environment and develop improvement plan for each district
- Contact School Coordinator Jennifer Tynan at email@example.com or (716) 299-0905 ext. 288 for more information.
Creating Healthy Communities Initiatives: Year One
- Assessing corner store’s for healthy food initiatives in each community
- Working with employers and employees to create healthier work environments
- Establishing a Complete Streets Coalition in each community
- Establishing Veggie Van distribution sites in one or both communities
- Completing a feasibility study for a farmer’s market in Lackawanna
- Contact Community Coordinator Briana Dorrenbacher at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 299-0905 ext.275 for more information.